Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

whats the best method for cutting HDPE

Go down 
+6
stukatrooper
gh05ty
ObiHahn
Rich330
locitus
SW1
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

whats the best method for cutting HDPE Empty
PostSubject: Painting HDPE Helmet   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi can anybody tell me the best paint to use on HDPE , i heard some were that the white spray paint dose not adear to the HDPE very well , do you use a primer first if so what one ? Smile
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Use the red one Wink
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Yes Mathias red for sure as the primer mate , but i was thinking would just the white spray paint take to the HDPE without using the primer ?
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 pm

SW1 wrote:
Yes Mathias red for sure as the primer mate , but i was thinking would just the white spray paint take to the HDPE without using the primer ?

You've seen the state of the paint jobs on th eoriginal helmets with primer. Imagine how badly the paint would adhere without it! whats the best method for cutting HDPE 94707
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 pm

So now iam intriged Rick as to why the white paint will not adhere is it somthing in the HDPE or the white paint that wont make it stick scratch
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm

SW1 wrote:
So now iam intriged Rick as to why the white paint will not adhere is it somthing in the HDPE or the white paint that wont make it stick scratch

It's something with the HDPE/PPE or whatever they were made of. I remember having a closer look at a outdoors portable potty (if that's what you call them) which was made from blue HDPE and it felt quite "oily" to the touch, and very flexible. Not at all like abs or hips. So I can very well imagine how paint has a tough time sticking to something that isn't just flexible, but is a little oily too.
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Ahh i see Mathias its making a lot of sence now did not relize that the HDPE was oily to cheers
Back to top Go down
ObiHahn
L.S.D Admin
ObiHahn

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:52 pm

R2Dan painted a HDPE helmet and I saw how easy the paint flaked off and cracked, even after primer.
Sadly, his helmet was light grey instead of khaki and had some frown issues. Wink

Dan has since sold that bucket, but it was great as a testing ground for HDPE versus paint. :D
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Cheers Dennis , the reason i am asking about paint and primer is my next helmet is HDPE going to do a chipper like you and Dan have done just got to find the right primer and white paint to stick and be flexable with the HDPE , i think i will use the masking liqued for the paint chips , i think thats what Dan used did you use that to Dennis ?
Back to top Go down
gh05ty
Cannon fodder
gh05ty

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 pm

This might sound a little silly but has anyone tried games workshops own spray undercoats? i used to use them all the time to primer plastics that might react with "normal" car paints and the stuff seemed to stick to anything, its also i beleive acrylic based so wont react with the top coat.
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Tell more about this HDPE helmet mate,

You do know that Gloss white Krylon fusion is available in the UK I used it on both my TE HDPE lids.You should always wash your plastic with soap and water (what ever type of plastic it is) with the HDPE use wet and dry to give the paint a good key on the main areas.

With krylon Fusion like any paint never forget the Tack coat This is the first coat and the finest of layers ,wait 30 seconds for it to almost dry then hit your prop with the first layer.Again remember less is more,this time wait 45 seconds to a minute between coats.A lid should cover in about three or four coats.

Krylon needs no primmer and sprays very gloss white.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I gave them a phone call and had 6 cans off them 4 years ago very helpfull but shipping was a little high,i think thats why i got 6 cans same price for one or six.

As you can see you can also get many colours so the red inside finish is not a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Ahh Mate Pete the doc to the rescue , thanks for all that info i will follow your intructions carefully mate , and i will get some krylon fusion white and red , now about the HDPE helmet , i managed to shanks my self a v3 GINO kit form , because i was so impresed with Solodallas one on the FISD , plus i thought it was time i did my own chipper as FBJ sayes the envouge for 2011 whats the best method for cutting HDPE 286346 , i just need to sorce accurate brow trim and neck , i have accuratte hovi tips from keith , plus i have some foam for the leaf , would like to find some newey england snaps for the chin strap . i will start a helmet build thread so i can get some great and invalable information from you guys whats the best method for cutting HDPE 999636
Back to top Go down
ObiHahn
L.S.D Admin
ObiHahn

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:53 am

SW1 wrote:
i think i will use the masking liqued for the paint chips , i think thats what Dan used did you use that to Dennis ?

Nope, I did it the ghetto way and used cheap old mustard. :D :D
Worked like a charm!
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 am

Mustard umm intresting iam sure i have some of that Dennis , i know of toothpaste as well but never tryed any of these methods i think Paul TM used laytex on my 1mm SFS lid with unbeliable results , i guess its how long you leave it on there for ? drying time for the paint ?
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

ObiHahn wrote:

Nope, I did it the ghetto way and used cheap old mustard. :D :D
Worked like a charm!

I do hope you didn't waste any good Löwensenf on it! whats the best method for cutting HDPE 559234

I got decent results with toothpaste. Same kind of consistency. The only reason I ordered some maskign fluid for my next helmet is the convenience of an applicator (thin nozzle design).
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

SW1 wrote:
i think Paul TM used laytex on my 1mm SFS lid with unbeliable results ,

It will be something similar to this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:44 am

This is what you want..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Just remember when adding the mask what ever sort you plumb for , is go easy with it.You can put far to many chip effects on you lid.I would use making for the big areas of chipping ,then just pick at the small ones with the edge of a knife.Plus as it is HDPE this will be easy.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Actually Pete now you mention it if you are painting an HDPE helmet dont bother using the mask fluid at all.

On my hdpe i just picked at it when the paint was dry where i wanted it to fall off and it was pretty easy..
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Cheers boys , i think i will pick and chip it of my self , sounds like the paint will chip of quite easyly from the HDPE , Pete have you got any pics of your TE HDPE lids would luv to see ? , and Mark if you have any more pics of yours whats the best method for cutting HDPE 286346
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi i want to know what the best tool is for cutting HDPE i have heard that HDPE is quite soft , i do have some hobby angeld scissors and also a hobby knife and i was thinking of using these tools when it comes to trimming the eyes and teeth , whats your experiance with cutting HDPE ?.
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Its just plastic mate,Just use what you got already. curved scissors hobby knife.Trim everything as you would any other helmet.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Trimming hdpe is a breaze..
Back to top Go down
JoeR
Captain
JoeR

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:13 pm

You haven't brought a GINO have you mate? whats the best method for cutting HDPE 94707

Please tell me it's a TM in HDPE - would love to see one of these...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.castfromoriginal.com
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:19 pm

V3 has to be...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats the best method for cutting HDPE   whats the best method for cutting HDPE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

whats the best method for cutting HDPE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next