Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers

Go down 
+2
89batman
firebladejedi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers Empty
PostSubject: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok if you dont want to go all out and follow the original style strapping system then there are many way of putting together a set of armour. I see a lot of troopers who use very complicated systems that look like a real pain to work out. Also i think if you use too many straps and poppers you are going to end up with too much bulk under the costume.

So lets start with the main torso. I use snap tabs and only use 2 straps to the hold the chest and ab plate in place. Having them attached high in the chest and low in the ab plate this give the torso plenty of lateral movement and will create enough tension in the elastic to firmly hold the chest in the correct position. In other words it will not flair out forwards.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another nice trick i like to use it using adjustable buckles so that the length of the strapping can be changed to allow for a nice snug fit. Only need to test fit this once and then can set it to be right everytime i wear the armour.

Last edited by firebladejedi on Mon May 18, 2015 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:03 pm

The rear is strapped similar to the original system in that all 3 parts are held together with 1 fixed to the other. But unlike most builders where the lower body is being worn like waders and then the top torso added later - this is not really needed on accurate suits such as the TM; which when worn properly fit together as they should - this is a throw back to the early builders using bulky awkward FX suits..

So starting at the top we have 2 connecting straps equallly spaced and fitted with the abligatory snap tabs.

The kidney to butt plates are fitted using 3 straps, 1 centally and 2 towards the outer edges of the armour. I use snaps fitted directly through the butt and cod for the under crotch strap. The sides are held closed by elastic fitted using velcro. In fact the only place velcro should be used on a screen accurate suit is the back of the belt to close it, but for practicle purposes it is a wonderful invention.

Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm

As this is a practicle strapping its still possisble to add the details of the original suits to the outside but they dont have to do anything.

The rivets in the left side of this suit are there for show only and do not have anything to do with this suits assembly, but they look good. The same can be said about the lonely snap on the upper right side of the ab plate.

In keeping with the original suits the ribbed shoulder bridges are not used to fix the front and rear torso together, but are there for show only. The suit is actually held in place by white webbing on the inside. The bridges should also be glued to the chest plate - no ugly rivets please guys.

From this side view you can see the white webbing holding the front and rear in place all using snaps. Slim white elastic holds the shoulder bridges in place to keep things nice and neat at the back.

Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:19 pm

On any good replica stormtrooper build the arm parts should be all fitted together. This is to ensure that the arms sit in the correct position and look right.

This is also a practicle way of helping you dress yourself for trooping. You put the arms on all together in one go and then put the body armour on next.

I used a long single piece of 1 inch elastic that goes all the way from one bicep, up through the shoulder bell and accross the neck to the other shoulder bell and finishes at the bicep. Then the bicep to forearm is held by 2 inch elastic velcro'd inside the inner elbow. Remember troopers on original replica suits the only velcro i want to see is holding the belt closed..

Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Drop boxes should be fitted to the belt using white 1 inch elastic, and remember never use webbing as it has no give. Simply loop the elastic over the belt and rivet to the inside of the drop box. This means they can bounce about naturally. Snaps can be added to the inside of the belt and the torso to keep everything where it should just like the screen used suits.

The belt is riveted directly to the plastic ammo belt part in 3 places, centre and at the edge.

Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:31 pm

The thighs are held up with a simple garter system. I like to use a heavy duty security type black webbing belt, but a normal formal leather belt is just as good and then the thighs are held by a piece of 2 or 3 inch elastic Smile
Back to top Go down
89batman
Armchair Armourer (update now takes hands on approach)
89batman

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:22 am

The only differences in mine are the length of the Ab to chest elastic, mine is shorter, I have three snap connectors for the back to Kidney ( far left,centre and far right) and I split the elastic for the arms- so I have mine coming from the shoulder elastic to the bell and the another seperate piece from inside the bell to the bicep, I find this eliminates twisting. I also think that mine is strapped differently taking into account our differing heights - you being over six foot and me ..well not [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I also use elastic and snaps to close both sides rather than velcro. It is always interesting seeing how some people try to reinvent the wheel but generally they all come back to a similar system.
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I've got something similar on my 2mm glossy TM suit.
In fact I wouldn't recommend anyone using accurate strapping with piano wire brackets on anythign heavier than 1mm or maybe 1.5mm plastic. Too heavy in my opinion. Snap plates and robust elastic is a good option.
What I have done recently though is change around the placement of some of the snap plates to replicate the placement of the original strapping system. For example, I've moved the snap plates on the abdomen and chest to the edge of each piece of armour to keep the chest and abdomen positioned at the correct distance from each other (i.e. very little overlap - being a short-arse it's all to easy to end up with too much overlap).
I find it makes a big difference to the overall fit and finish and the way the armour sits and "behaves" on the outside.

This is what it used to be like (with two long straps holding the chest and abdomen together). I've replaced that with a row of three on each side, close to the edge. I'll try and get photos taken at some point.

Back to top Go down
Ripcode
Cannon fodder
Ripcode

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 am

I really like the various strapping setups in the torsos. I really hate seeing visible suspenders on TKs.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Ripcode wrote:
I really like the various strapping setups in the torsos. I really hate seeing visible suspenders on TKs.

With any of the accurate style armour currently available there is no need to have a set up showing ugly strapping.. Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers 296262
Back to top Go down
felgercarb
Cannon fodder

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

Some great ideas there, i have used a lot of these techniques on my build as i agree the suspender option does not look the best.
Back to top Go down
brutalmagic
Deck Officer
brutalmagic

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Your right, I have the suspender system and it does look piggin awful when the straps pop out in view. I will get mem over and done with and change it as above. Simple, effective and neat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers   Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practicle Strapping for Stormtroopers
Page 1 of 1