Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet Empty
PostSubject: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:19 pm

I picked up this cheap B-grade helmet so that I could have soemthing to experiment on.

I wanted to see if I could produce my own helmet with a nice chipped look and replicate the colour of the HDPE base material.
Until we get a reliable supplier of genuine HDPE helmets (nd believe me, I'm not going to be sending Lord Snooty any of my cash for one of his!), then painting is the way to go.

This was prompted by pictures of a genuine helmet which emerged recently. I was struck by just how green the plastic was. TM made me a great replica ESB helmet but the base colour was distinctly beige/khaki.
I wanted to experiment and see if I could get close to the green colour.

My TM ESB helmet pictured next to an original screen-used HDPE helmet:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is what I first came up with. Beige primer on its own looked OK for a quick solution ...

... but I stripped the paint back for a second attempt (the first paint job was rushed and didn't cure properly anyway). I used beige primer again and a light spray of some satin green over the top. The green was too bright to use as a solid colour but the light layer on the beige turned out OK I think ...

Not having any professional maskign fluid around, I used toothpaste and it did the job OK.

What do you reckon, chaps? I'm reasonably happy. As I say, it was a project helmet to test out my (limited) skills. I think I'd be willing to tackle the job on my next proper helmet and I've got a nice little display item out of it in the process.

Back to top Go down
monkeypaw aka riveting
Deck Officer
monkeypaw aka riveting

PostSubject: Re: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:28 am

I like the toothpaste idea, necessity realy is the mother of invention [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 am

It may just be the pics but the hdpe still looks a little light?
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am

Yep, definitely a bit on the light side. Meanwhile R2Dan in Germany has let me know where to get some great paint.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:50 am

Cool ask Stuka what paint he used for the hdpe - it's a great colour also Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet   ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ATA B-grade project hemet, my first attempt at an HDPE replica helmet
Page 1 of 1