Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?

Go down 
+3
R2Dan
SW1
JoeR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeR
Captain
JoeR

ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? Empty
PostSubject: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 am

TM has made some interesting points on The Prop Den about original ANH helmets.

Hope Paul doesn't mind me quoting him.

Quote :
The helmet felt a lot like my PP helmet. It had that distinctive feel of PP, but could easily have been HDPE or LDPE as they are all close relatives.

It was also very thick and not paper thin. My guess is standard 3mm was used to make the original helmets. It stands to reason really when you think about it. AA would hardly be making fish ponds from such a thin material. From personal experience, HDPE or PP does not stretch evenly like ABS and can thin quite excessively. If the fish ponds were made from a thin guage plastic then they would end up being as thin as shopping bags (which is what some areas of my PP helmets were like). It may be a different story using a professional machine to form HDPE, but either way, this helmet was thick and sturdy.

This makes a lot of sense. I have been searching for the correct shade of HDPE for a year now and have spoken to every plastic supplier in the UK. No one has ever seen HDPE in that shade as a stock colour, but there are stock shades of PP that are very close. I have a sample here and will post some pictures when I find it.

Paul is right that someone mentioned HDPE and we have all accepted it without actually questioning it.

No-one that I know of has actually analysed the plastic and confirmed this.

I am definately going to be trying out some 3mm PP and LDPE on our new ANH helmet molds shortly. With a pro forming machine we should get some nice sharp pulls.

Anyway would be interesting to hear what others think.

Paul certainly knows more about forming and stormtroopers than anyone else in the hobby and has a better eye for detail and he has handled this new ANH helmet and armour.

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://www.castfromoriginal.com
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh Bugger looks like iam having to ditch the 1mm and 2mm helmets ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? 836915 Laughing very intresting read from Paul , i think it great that you will be trying the pp and ldpe out Joe exciting stuff mate ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? 286346
Back to top Go down
R2Dan
L.S.D Admin
R2Dan

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Yeah Paul told me a while back via PM, I already then said "makes sense if he used it for fishponds before".

It does sound reasonable.
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

WOW 3mm,I cant pass comment on the plastics mate as i have no idea about forming and the diferences between PP and LDPE or even what they are (calling all plastic experts)

I have seen pictures of real helmets with paper thin cheeks ,maybe these were bad pulls but ended up being used because of deadlines and cash flow.So maybe most were as thick as the new found helmet and boy is that a sharp pull.

Thanks for putting this up Joe ohh and do tell more about your ANH helmet project?
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
geordietrooper
Deck Officer

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Quote :
do tell more about your ANH helmet project?

yeah more more more flower
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

If they are 3mm thick - how did they all seem so toight?

I know there are some soft pulls - the Brian R but look at that loft find - its sooo sharp..

Or is this all a smoke screen from Paul?
Back to top Go down
JoeR
Captain
JoeR

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 am

Paul knows his stuff, he told me things I didn't know about the helmets that I owned!

I have never been near an original ANH helmet so have no idea, but I have not found any stock HDPE colours in the last 30 years that are near the screen helmets.

We should get Paul on here and ask him....

Joe

Ps: We got a cast of the Brian R helmet that TE traded Cam years ago, it arrives Monday.....

Back to top Go down
http://www.castfromoriginal.com
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 am

JoeR wrote:

Ps: We got a cast of the Brian R helmet that TE traded Cam years ago, it arrives Monday.....

I think im going to cry ! ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? 295761
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:14 am

Jez would be another person to get involved - as he has handled several real helmets.

He is a member here Smile

Paul didn't seem so keen to join us...

The plot thickens.
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:28 am

firebladejedi wrote:

Paul didn't seem so keen to join us...

The plot thickens.

I did wonder if he had been invited over.

Curiouser and curiouser. ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? 22181
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?   ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ANH Helmets 3mm PP or LDPE?
Page 1 of 1