Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH

Go down 
+3
CARBONITEKID
89batman
firebladejedi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH Empty
PostSubject: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm

In ANH we see there are 2 style of latex hand plates, regular and these more unusual looking alternate style.

Some people misleadingly refer for them as hero style, due to Han Solo being seen with them on. But he also is seen in the same scene with the regular style and other troopers throughout the film wear these so i think a better description for these latex handplates would be 'alternate' Smile

These gloves here were made by Sonnenschein a regular contributor in the trooper forums.

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH DSCF1522
Alternate Style Gloves in ANH 205
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Here's a great picture of the 2 types of gloves being used by the troopers..

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH Handplates
Back to top Go down
89batman
Armchair Armourer (update now takes hands on approach)
89batman

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Another one of the great mysteries! I have often wondered why they had two different versions. I can only assume that the mold was shot for the first one and whom ever had the responsibillity of supplying the hanplates re-sculpted them and made a fresh mold. It is amazing, knowing generally how much stuff is written down for continuity and costume on film-sets, just how little seemed to be recorded about the Stormtrooper armour! Wouldn't it be nice if a great big folder marked 'Stormtrooper' was discovered and all of these things were in it, I'm almost sure something like this existed and it is clear they did the same for Vader and the other costumes as we have seen examples in books etc.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:15 pm

I have often wondered if there were more than one person responsible for producing the handplates.

And looking at how the 2 versions are made up it could be that the design of the mold was simply reversed at where the raised part that runs in parallel with the wrist, with the standard version being on top of the vertical stripe and the alternate version running under it.

Although without clear pictures it looks like the overall shape is just a little different between the two?

So maybe they did make a second mold to replace damamged parts ruined during filming?

I guess we will never know Alternate Style Gloves in ANH 22181

Last edited by firebladejedi on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
89batman
89batman

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:48 pm

I know - bloody irritating to say the least!! But at leats allows us all to have our varying opinions Alternate Style Gloves in ANH 559234
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm

And the option for 2 types of latex hand plates Alternate Style Gloves in ANH 296262
Back to top Go down
89batman
89batman

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Did you get my pm about handplates Dan? Do you do both styles??
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Regarding the gloves themselves, has it been established what type/brand they were?

I'm currently using black marigolds and was wondering if something like these would have been used due to their cheap cost and ease of availability?
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 6:29 pm

89batman wrote:
Did you get my pm about handplates Dan? Do you do both styles??

Dont worry about hand guards Garry i have that covered at last,bingo eureka,i had a dream,it has come true
Back to top Go down
89batman
89batman

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:17 am

Excellent!!
Back to top Go down
brutalmagic
Deck Officer
brutalmagic

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I am also using black chemical/rubber gloves.

But lets be honest, regards to trooping with they are not nice to wear, wet and a bugger to get on and off is there a recommended alternative?
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 pm

If you get the correct gloves they have flocking inside and are not really that sweaty - I've never had any trouble in the last 5 years anyway..
Back to top Go down
synaptyx
Tee-Shirt Guy
synaptyx

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Mines smelled like rancid mushroom soup. Alternate Style Gloves in ANH 94707
Back to top Go down
http://www.synaptyx.com
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I got some cotton-lycra inner gloves to wear from a fellow trooper. wearing those inside helps a lot!

Before I could go maybe an hour tops. Now all-day troops are no problem.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 4:11 pm

While tweaking my armour this weekend i wanted to show the size difference between some of the latex hand plates i have.

The standard style are by John aka Pugman or Stormtrooper and the alternate style are by Karin aka Sonnenschein.

The Pugman version are quiet a lot smaller and look better in my opinion..

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH DSCF7022
Alternate Style Gloves in ANH DSCF7021
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Style Gloves in ANH   Alternate Style Gloves in ANH I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternate Style Gloves in ANH
Page 1 of 1