Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

What Not to Buy

Go down 
+14
academy
felgercarb
moonwalker
Psammead
SuperTrooper
locitus
TK5759
Pappy
CARBONITEKID
stukatrooper
Rich330
89batman
firebladejedi
Admin
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
L.S.D Admin
Admin

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Ok we were all new to this hobby at one time or another and the temptation to buy the first armour we see in a glitzy advert is a strong one. But most of the high profile sellers are scammers, recasters or plain rip off merchants. The sellers who provide the best armour and service are usually hiding under the radar and are particular to whom they will sell. And for good reason.

Anyway here is a list of seller that should be avoided. The product is likely to be over rated, over priced and low quality. Whether this is becuase of thin plasic, mis matched parts or just a rubbish pull or soft details or all of these things its best to take the advice of those in the know - it could save you a fortune in the long run.

Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.com
Admin
L.S.D Admin
Admin

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:01 pm

First up is from Jedi Robe. Their stormtrooper armour is over priced and low in quality. On their website they also sell official starwars costumes which are poor to say the least.

The advert is confusing for a start, the product is originated in the USA but is made and priduced in the UK?

The helmet is a SDS wonky recast and the armour a mix of old FX.

Avoid Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.com
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Jedi Robe have an ebay account named Stormtrooper - Costumes. Selling shadow trooper armour on £999 - also avoid.

Infact the have an ebay account called Jedi-Robe too...

Last edited by firebladejedi on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Another ebay favourite is Chimera Bespoke. This is another SDS helmet cast and a mix of old FX and some AP parts now. Over priced and low quality.

Avoid..
Back to top Go down
89batman
Armchair Armourer (update now takes hands on approach)
89batman

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Both of the above examples that Mark Has listed are to be avoided at all costs in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 8:48 pm

My first ever post anwhere on any 501st board was on the UKG boards. I had fallen hook line and sinker for the Jedi f**king Robe internet ad and was asking if it was any good. Otherwise I was going to get the SDS ... What Not to Buy  94707

This was less than year ago. Thank the Lord I did my homework (i.e. thank God the UKG/Mark helped me out What Not to Buy  295761 What Not to Buy  24841 ).

I went back and looked at the pictures on their site again recently and had a good chuckle at myself. If the words "recast crap" didn't mean anythign to me that short time ago, they sure do now!

In my opinion, this type of informative thread for the beginner is more important than the real high end discussion. Keep the newbies informed and stop them makign the mistakes that so many of us nearly make. What Not to Buy  999636
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 pm

My head drops everytime i see someone turn up at a UKG armour party with their £1000 jedi robe suit asking for help to get it acceptable for the Garrision.they are very clever business people and are using internet buzz words for folk that are gloogling stormtrooper costumes.7 out of 10 seem to land in there lap.
Do your homework stay off eBay and any main stream web site selling armour.
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am

firebladejedi wrote:
Another ebay favourite is Chimera Bespoke. This is another SDS helmet cast and a mix of old FX and some AP parts now. Over priced and low quality.

Avoid..

Last I heard this guy was off the scene.
Back to top Go down
89batman
Armchair Armourer (update now takes hands on approach)
89batman

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Spill the beans!
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 pm

No he's back selling on eBay...
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

89batman wrote:
Spill the beans!

PM sent. Wink

firebladejedi wrote:
No he's back selling on eBay...

Ah crap. What Not to Buy  178841
Best shut up now then as last time I spoke out about his stuff he threatened me with legal action. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Deck Officer
Pappy

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Guys,who's the crook's name located on Philippines?
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Pappy wrote:

Thomas Ernie Scheuer (sp?)

AKA Starfortress.

Currently wanted by FBI on multiple child molestation charges. What Not to Buy  178841

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
TK5759
Cannon fodder

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm

CARBONITEKID wrote:
Pappy wrote:

AKA Starfortress.

Currently wanted by FBI on multiple child molestation charges. What Not to Buy  178841

I believe he also runs stormtrooper-costumes. I bought from that seller on ebay a couple years ago and it was shipped from the Phillipines. What Not to Buy  14955 Odd coincidence, no? What Not to Buy  94707
Back to top Go down
CARBONITEKID
Cannon fodder
CARBONITEKID

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:38 pm

TK5759 wrote:

I believe he also runs stormtrooper-costumes. I bought from that seller on ebay a couple years ago and it was shipped from the Phillipines. What Not to Buy  14955 Odd coincidence, no? What Not to Buy  94707

Interesting. What Not to Buy  22181
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Another armour producer / seller i would avoid is Matt Guathier aka Trooper Expert.

He may be the guy responsible for mass producing accurate costumes after copying a rotj body suit and two anh lids, then later the rotj lids...

But the last few years he has become a bit wierd.

Armour delivery can take years or you may never get it at all - also he does not do refunds and may ask for more money to finally post it.

Also his prices vary very much depending on who you are - buyer beware What Not to Buy  781265
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Deck Officer
Pappy

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am

CARBONITEKID wrote:
Pappy wrote:

AKA Starfortress.

Thanks a lot! A lot of guys here considers to buy from him Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

I thought PT was a TE2 recast?
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Correct PT or Pirate Trooper aka Dave the Dane recast a TE2.
Back to top Go down
SuperTrooper
Deck Officer
SuperTrooper

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I thought Maker of Things recast TE2, and hasn't NGB has also recast a TE SFS fiberglass helmet as well.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

The main reason of this thread was to warn people of what not to buy, not the ins and outs of who cast whom - not all recasters are producing bad armour - i was more interested in warning people of over spending on under par quality goods.

In this game you very much get what you pay for, and some copies can be nicer looking than the tired molds of the major players. Usually their prices are a lot cheaper so its a trade off.

But the people i mention are selling low quality armour at prices way higher than the best armour available. And still to this day i get pm's asking about these highly priced rip off merchants whith their glitzy adverts sucking people in..

I dont really want to get into the armour wars here, thats for another place.
Back to top Go down
Psammead
Deck Officer

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Don't forget imperialarmour on the bay. He's one of the suppliers to Jedi-Robe. I've seen the stuff in person and even to a newbie (as I was then) it looks terrible. Suspiciously his E-11s don't have a serial number on either, which makes me think he recast the parts for them too.

By the way, in case there's any confusion, please note the 'u' and their presence on the bay...this is not the same outfit as DL who makes top class stuff.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Dan Laws stuff is usually top notch - although his delivery times vary..
Back to top Go down
moonwalker
Deck Officer
moonwalker

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 pm

I'd like to add something... Avoid this seller :

He sells finished helmets and armors. I bought him one of the first helmets he sold, thinking it was a AP. Instead of an AP, I received a piece of crap... Too thin for trooping, REALLY bad paint and finish, poor packaging. I fully reworked it, but I'm still angry...

Here's a pic of the helmet I received (and next to it the same one two months after, almost completely redone) :

Plus, the seller says that the helmet and his armor are his own scult and not a recast... Really, avoid this guy.
Back to top Go down
felgercarb
Cannon fodder

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Hopefully he will get the message soon and do one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What Not to Buy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Not to Buy    What Not to Buy  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Not to Buy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Last Stormtrooper Detachment  :: Parts Department-
Jump to: